This simple Eggplant and Tomato Sauce is delicious, made with diced eggplant stewed in tomatoes and garlic. I love it served over pasta but it’s also great over zucchini noodles, polenta or as a side dish on it’s own.
Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
Eggplants, also known as aubergines, belong to the nightshade family of plants and are used in many Italian dishes. They are nutrient dense and high in antioxidants. It’s actually a fruit, and great in so many vegetarian dishes like these meatless Eggplant Meatballs, Eggplant Parmesan and Eggplant Rollatini.
Years ago when I worked in Astoria NY in my first job as a graphic designer, we always ordered lunch from a great little Italian restaurant that made the best pasta with tomatoes and eggplant. It was like a marinara sauce, only better because it had little tender pieces of eggplant. Even then I used to go home and recreate my favorite dishes.
This takes less than 3o minutes to make, and just 5 ingredients. Because the sauce is made with just a few ingredients it’s important to use good quality extra virgin olive oil (I love Delallo) and tomatoes.
Eggplant soaks up a lot of olive oil, so I recommend using the 2 tablespoons suggested, if not more. Totally optional, but fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese on top is a must in my house!
You can double this recipes and freeze half. To freeze, let it cool completely then transfer to freezer safe storage bags or containers and freeze up to 3 months.
Tips and Variations
- Use this sauce in place of marinara sauce to make baked ziti, it comes out delicious!
- If you’re not a fan of the skin, you can peel it before cooking.
- Serve it over pasta, zucchini noodles or eat it as a side dish.
More Eggplant Recipes:
Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 28 oz can plum tomatoes including juice, I like Tuttorosso
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- chopped basil or parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large deep skillet, when hot saute the garlic in olive oil.
- Add eggplant and cook about 3 minutes, until it begins to soften.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and add them to the skillet along with the juices.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered about 15-20 minutes.
- Add fresh chopped herbs and serve over your favorite pasta.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Budget Friendly Meals
- Dairy Free
- Dinner Ideas
- Egg Free Recipes
- Freezer Meals
- Gluten Free
- Italian Inspired Recipes
- Keto Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Lenten Friendly Recipes
- Low Carb
- Pasta Recipes
- Sauces, Dips and Spreads
- Under 30 Minutes
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetarian Meals
- Weight Watchers – WW Recipes
- Whole30 Recipes
Photo Credit: Jess Larson