Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan is a fun, easy twist on eggplant parmesan – these baked eggplant “boats” are hollowed out and stuffed with chicken sausage, tomato sauce and mozzarella.
I’ve been dreaming up this recipe since last year when I created my Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats. If you love eggplant parmesan these are going to knock your socks off! My husband loved these even more than the zucchini actually, but he’s also more of an eggplant guy. These are easier than making traditional eggplant parm because they use no breadcrumbs, and there is no breading and frying!
How To Make Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
Look for medium sized eggplants, white or Japanese would be perfect here. You could use any variety as long as they aren’t too large. The pulp that gets scooped out goes right back into the stuffing so nothing gets wasted. One boat is a complete meal and super filling, you can also serve it with a side salad if you wish!
More Eggplant Recipes:
Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
A fun, easy twist on eggplant parmesan – these baked eggplant “boats” are hollowed out and stuffed with chicken sausage, tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- 2 medium (15 oz each) white eggplants, stems trimmed off and halved lengthwise
- 3 links (8.4 oz) sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed (I love Premio)
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 5 basil leaves, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons grated Pecorino Romano
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Hollow out the flesh of the eggplant to create a boat using a melon baller or small knife, leaving a 1/2-inch of the skin all around to create a shell. Roughly chop the scooped out eggplant flesh.
- Drop the eggplant into the boiling water and cook 3 minutes (poking it with a spoon so they stay submerged). Remove with a slotted spoon and set them on paper towels on the counter.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up while it cooks into smaller pieces. Add the onions and garlic and cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add 1 cup chopped eggplant and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup crushed tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil.
- Pour 1/3 cup of crushed tomatoes on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish and place the eggplant boats on top. Season the eggplant with salt and divide the sausage and sauce evenly among the 4 eggplant boats.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of Pecorino Romano cheese. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes until cheese is melted and eggplant is cooked through.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 1 half
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 7
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 244 calories
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 678mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 19g