Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Milk, Tomatoes and Cilantro is a quick stew cooked in a light, tomato coconut broth with a hint of lime and cilantro. Simple enough to make for a weekday dinner yet sophisticated enough to serve to company. Serve with a little brown basmati rice to soak up the delicious broth.
Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Milk, Tomatoes and Cilantro
- 1 1/4 lbs peeled and deviened jumbo shrimp weight after peeled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 scallions thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can light coconut milk
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- In a medium pot, heat oil on medium-low heat. Add red peppers and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add scallion whites, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic and red pepper flakes, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt, increase heat and bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend and to thicken the sauce.
- Add shrimp and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until opaque and cooked through.
- Add lime juice.
- To serve, divide equally among 4 bowls, about 1 1/4 cups then top with scallions and cilantro.