This is the BEST pepper steak recipe, it’s easy, ready in under 20 minutes and it’s always a winner with my family. SO good, you’ll never buy restaurant pepper steak again!
Pepper steak is quick, easy and perfect to whip up any night of the week. Strips of beef and bell peppers are stir fried in a wok to create a delicious main dish, ready in no time! I love it with brown rice, but cauliflower rice would also be great on the side.
As a kid I loved when my Mom made this steak and now that I’m an adult, it’s always a hit in my house when I make it. The key to stir frying any meal is to have all your ingredients chopped and prepped before you start to cook. Once prepped, your meal will be ready in minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Whole 30 or Paleo To make this Whole30 compliant or paleo, swap out the soy sauce for liquid aminos and the corn starch for arrowroot, although you may need to adjust the amount.
- Gluten-free To make this gluten-free, swap out the soy sauce for gluten-free tamari.
You can freeze this leftover steak in freezer safe containers. Let it cool completely before freezing to avoid ice crystals. Reheat in the microwave, 3 to 4 minutes, or until hot.
How To Make Perfect Pepper Steak
More Beef Recipes
- Garlic Lovers Roast Beef
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
- Beef Chili
- Perfect Filet Mignon
- Soy Marinated Flank Steak
- 12 oz top round beef, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons soy sauce, liquid aminos for paleo or whole30*
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 3 tsp cornstarch, or arrowroot for paleo or whole30
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Slice beef into thin slices with the grain. Cut each strip across the grain about 1" long so you have small thin slices. Place in a bowl and add 4 tsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of rice wine, 1 tsp cornstarch and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp water and 2 tsp cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat the wok on high heat. Swirl in 2 teaspoons of the oil and add the beef spreading evenly in the wok. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds letting the beef brown. Using a spatula, stir meat, cooking another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining teaspoon of oil to wok, add peppers and onions and cook about 4 to 5 minutes. Return beef to the wok, add the sauce and red pepper flakes and stir fry about 30 seconds until slightly thickened.