Set it and forget it with this easy, flavorful slow cooker sandwich recipe. Top round roast, bell peppers, pepperoncini, garlic and dried herbs slow cooked all day then shredded and served on whole wheat Italian bread or rolls with melted provolone.
Guys, I’m so excited to share this news with you! We’ve spent the past few years searching for the perfect house. As much as I love the house I currently own and live in, filled with so many wonderful family memories, we’ve outgrown it and working from home I need a bigger kitchen and a lot more space. So, I’m giving you a sneak peak at my new home before we start knocking down walls!
I’m still living in my old home and plan to do so until the renovations are done. Since I have no furniture, pots, pans or even utensils, we enjoyed our first meal in our new home picnic style which the kids loved. I brought everything ready for this meal in the slow cooker and packed a blanket, bread, water and some plates.
The house is in a great neighborhood, and everyone we’ve met so far has been super nice, so we’re really excited about the next chapter of our life. It’s still close enough to my parents, but I can finally build that dream kitchen I’ve wanted for so long as well as a photo studio/office next to it so I don’t have to work on my dining room table anymore. Although it needs some updating, what I really fell in love with was the location on the Great South Bay.
We’re excited and overwhelmed as the house needs a lot of updating to make it feel like home. Bathrooms, kitchen, pantry – lots to do!
What made me fall in love with this house are the stunning views of the bay. Hoping a boat will be in our future so we can head out to Fire Island on weekends, and do some fishing or just to have fun! The best part of our new home – seeing the sunset from my window or back porch every night.
My kids are excited and Madison has already picked out her new room. Once we start working on the house I’ll show you the progress, and the finished kitchen. HGTV, you out there? I could use some help!!
Back to the recipe, now that I’ve started packing I’ve been going through unused cookbooks and came across The Skinny Suppers Cookbook. I let my husband choose which meal to make, and I’m not surprise, being Italian he chose these hoagies, which everyone enjoyed!
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
- 3 lbs beef top round roast, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons Italian salad dressing mix or see below for homemade
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 oz jar pepperoncini
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 8 2 oz pieces whole wheat Italian or French bread (or gluten free bread)
- 8 slices Sargento Provolone Ultra Thin
Homemade Italian Seasoning (use 4 teaspoons):
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sugar or stevia
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Pat the roast dry with a paper towel. Combine the onion powder, black pepper and salt and rub all over the roast then place into the slow cooker.
- Add the Italian salad dressing mix, broth, garlic and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours or low 10 to 12 hours, until very tender and easily shreds with two forks.
- When done, remove bay leaf and shred the beef. Add 1 cup of the pepperoncinis and the bell peppers to the slow cooker, cover and cook high 30 minutes or low 1 hour.
- To serve, top each roll or bread with 3 oz meat mixture, top with 1 slice cheese, and some of the remaining pepperoncinis. Serve the remaining liquid as a dip for the sandwich, if desired. If desired, place the bread under the broiler 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.