Healthier homemade croutons made with whole grain bread, Italian seasoning and shredded parmesan cheese. These are so simple to make, with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
I love croutons in my salad or pea soup, but it’s hard to find brands made with whole grain bread, or that don’t have a long list of ingredients so I make them myself. So easy to make! If you are gluten-free you can swap the bread for your favorite GF brand. Sour dough bread would also be great!
I love how the grains in the bread add a nutty texture to the croutons, so much better than white bread!
Once baked you can keep them in a container at least 1 week to use for salads or soups (I love croutons in my split pea soup!) Be sure to use shredded Parmesan cheese so it sticks to the croutons when baked in the oven.
For this side salad pictured above, I chopped up some tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and romaine lettuce, and tossed it with my red wine tomato vinaigrette.
- Preheat over to 300°F. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove the crust and cut the bread into small cubes.
- Combine the garlic powder, salt and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Spread the bread cubes on prepared cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Spray the top with more oil to coat and top with half of the seasoning and half of the shredded cheese; season with black pepper then bake for 14 minutes or until dry, crispy, and golden brown.
- Turn the croutons over, spray a little more oil and sprinkle with remaining seasoning, black pepper and shredded cheese; bake for an additional 14 minutes until done.
- Store croutons in air-tight container or ziplock bag. Makes 4 cups.