Golden egg yolks mingle with tomatoes, green chiles and cheese over a crispy corn tortilla for breakfast… what can be better! Low fat, naturally gluten-free and vegetarian (perfect for meatless mondays).
With Cinco de Mayo on the Horizon, I thought I would share this easy recipe, that I love to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
My friend Deysi taught me how to make this savory authentic Mexican recipe, and I’m glad she did because it was such a wonderful change from the usual egg dishes and it’s really easy to make. You can also serve this with sliced avocados on the side. Buen Provecho!
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 medium tomato, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped green chiles, I used Old El Paso
- oil spray
- salt and pepper
- pinch cumin, optional
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 oz shredded cheese, I used Cabot 50% reduced fat Pepper Jack
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro
- olive oil spray, I used my Misto
- 2 corn tortillas, I used Mission Extra Thin yellow corn
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add onions and cook one minute, add tomatoes, chilies, cumin, salt and pepper and cook another few minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- In another medium non-stick pan, lightly spray the tortillas with oil on each side and heat a few minutes on both sides until tortillas gets crispy and pockets or air bubbles start to form inside. Set aside.
- In the same pan, lightly spray more oil and add eggs, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until sunny-side up or to your liking.
- To serve, place a tortilla on each plate, top with egg, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese and cilantro.
More Latin Egg recipes you may like:
(Recipes from other blogs may not always be Weight Watcher friendly)
Huevos Pericos – Skinnytaste
Mexican Baked Eggs with Black Beans, Tomato, Chile and Cilantro – Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chorizo and Egg White Breakfast Burrito – Skinnytaste
Huevos a la Mexicano – What’s Cooking Mexico