Start your day off right with these healthy turkey Chorizo Breakfast Bowls – perfect for making ahead if you need a fast and easy breakfast on the go!
Chorizo Breakfast Bowls
These Chorizo Breakfast Bowls are a great way to start the day, but they are also hearty enoigh for dinner! My healthy turkey chorizo recipe inspired me to make these Mexican breakfast bowls. You can make the chorizo and potatoes ahead, then cook up some eggs in the morning and breakfast is ready! Another great Mexican breakfast idea with chorizo for a crowd is this Tex Mex Breakfast Casserole. I have tons of more Breakfast Recipes here!
These savory breakfast bowls are high in protein. They start with a layer of roasted potatoes, followed by turkey chorizo. Chorizo is usually made of pork and high in fat. However, my chorizo recipe uses lean ground turkey to keep it light. After the chorizo, add the fried egg, Mexican cheese, and avocado. I like to use queso blanco or queso fresco, both white Mexican cheeses, in these bowls. If you like a little spice, add some of your favorite hot sauce on top.
My family really enjoys breakfast for dinner, so these egg breakfast bowls are perfect. Chorizo is excellent to have on hand during busy weeknights because there are so many uses it for it. If we have leftover chorizo, we’ll add it to other meals, like tacos and
burritos, throughout the week.
How To Meal Prep Chorizo Breakfast Bowls
These healthy breakfast bowls are ideal for meal prep. I’d recommend scrambling the eggs instead of frying them since scrambled eggs will reheat better. Make the potatoes and chorizo and assemble in meal prep containers.
- Omit the chorizo if you want to make these bowls vegetarian.
- Add in black beans for some extra fiber and protein.
- Omit the cheese for dairy-free.
- Sub the baby gold or red potatoes for sweet potatoes.
- Top with pico de gallo.
More Breakfast Recipes You Will Love
- Berry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Breakfast Burrito Bowl with Spiced Butternut Squash
- Cinnamon Apple Yogurt Bowls
- Strawberry Peanut Butter Swirl Smoothie Bowl
- Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowls
Chorizo Breakfast Bowls
For the potatoes:
- 12 (1 lb) baby gold or red potatoes, quartered
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh black pepper to taste
For the bowls:
- olive oil spray
- 1-1/3 cups cooked turkey chorizo heated through
- 8 large eggs
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp crumbled Mexican cheese queso blanco, queso fresco
- 4 ounces sliced avocado from 1 small haas
- cilantro or scallions for garnish
- Cholula hot sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Spray a 9 x 12 or large oval casserole dish with oil.
- Add the potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and black pepper and toss.
- Bake until tender, tossing every 15 minutes, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, spray with oil and cook the eggs in batches sunny-side up, until the whites are just set, about 2 to 3 minutes for a runny yolk, or longer if a firm yolk is desired.
- To serve, divide the potatoes in 4 bowls, top each with 1/3 cup chorizo, 2 fried eggs, crumbled cheese, 1 ounce avocado and garnish with scallions or cilantro.