Tex Mex Migas
Migas is a popular Tex Mex breakfast dish made with chopped corn tortillas, cheese, tomatoes, jalapeños, and onions. I serve it plated with tortillas on the side, but they can also be wrapped in a tortilla, taco style.
Tex Mex Migas
I first discovered the Tex Mex classic Migas in Austin, Texas and just couldn’t get enough of them! Also know as Austin’s hangover cure of choice, and city boasts so many variations on the Tex Mex classic. You can have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
These eggs are so good! I could literally eat them everyday and they are so fast and easy to make yourself! The tortillas are typically cut up and fried to maintain a crisp texture when mixed in with the scrambled eggs, but I wanted to make them healthier, so I charred them on an open flame first to help crisp them up which helped me use far less oil and worked out great. For added healthy fats, I also served them with avocado.
The question I gets asked most often from readers, especially when I am making eggs is “What is your favorite nonstick everyday cookware?”. I’m am so thrilled to partner with Le Creuset and share their new premium line of heavy duty Toughened Nonstick cookware. Not only do the eggs easily glide off the pan, the cookware is heavy duty and built to last, which means you won’t be replacing them every few months. And since they are made with thicker gauge aluminum, they are also ideal for holding heat to sear steaks, and for stir fried dishes like this Cauliflower Fried Rice and this Chicken and Asparagus Lemon Stir Fry. Le Creuset is so confident in the quality and versatility of their nonstick cookware, that they are offering a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. And for a limited time, they are having an up to 40% off sale so don’t miss out!
How To Make Migas
- You can use any type of cheese you wish, I used queso fresco, but queso blanco, cheddar or Montery Jack cheese would also be great. You can also omit the cheese to make them dairy free.
- This is a great vegetarian dish, but if you wish to add meat chorizo or bacon work great.
More Scrambled Egg Recipes You May Like:
- Huevos Pericos
- Meal Prep Breakfast Scramble
- Bacon Egg and Avocado Breakfast Sandwiches
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/2 vine tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, half diced, half sliced thin for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 4 ounces avocado, sliced
- hot sauce or salsa, for serving
- One at a time, place all 6 of the tortillas directly over the flame of the burner over medium heat 20 to 30 seconds per side, until slightly charred.
- Set 4 aside on a plate with a dish towel over them to keep them warm until ready to serve, cut the remaining 2 in half, then chop into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- Place the eggs in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the 2 chopped tortillas and cook, stirring until crisp, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet, then add the onion, tomato, jalapeño, cilantro and season with salt and pepper, cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes stirring.
- When the onion is ready add the eggs and cook 3 to 4 minutes until the eggs are almost set, stirring a few times to scramble, then stir in the tortillas.
- Stir and cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and top with cheese, fresh salsa, avocado, hot sauce and cilantro for garnish.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Le Creuset. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Skinnytaste possible. All thoughts are my own.