A crespelle is an Italian crepe used in dishes such as manicotti, lasagna and other stuffed dishes in place of pasta. They have a lighter texture than pasta and taste delicious. These can also be made gluten-free.
I love making homemade manicotti for special occasions, they are so good and always a crowd pleaser! Rather than using pasta, we love making them these lighter crespelles, so delicious! Make them a ahead with wheat or gluten-free flour. Here’s my favorite Spinach Manicotti recipe.
For an added nutritional benefit, I use white whole wheat flour in the batter which doesn’t taste like wheat, but you can use unbleached white if you prefer. I have also tested with Bobs Red Mill gluten-free flour with great results. A crepe pan can be used, but it’s not necessary, a good 8 inch non-stick skillet with a 6 inch bottom will work just fine. They aren’t hard to make, if you can make pancakes, you can make crespelles, it just takes a little practice – making sure the pan is hot before adding the batter, adding the right amount of batter, quickly swirling it around and carefully flipping. After you make the third one, you’ll be a pro! Once done, fill them, roll and bake.
Can be made a day ahead, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated, or stack them and freeze the unused portions.
More Italian Recipes you might enjoy:
- Chicken Parmesan Lasagna
- Zucchini Rollatini
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Italian Beef and Spinach Meatballs
- Spinach Lasagna Roll ups
Light Crespelle Recipe
- 8-inch nonstick skillet with 6 inch base
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- To make crespelles, heat an 8-inch non-stick skillet with a 6-inch bottom on medium-low heat. Let it get hot.
- Lightly spray pan using olive oil spray and pour 3 tablespoons of batter into the pan, slowly swirling the batter around the pan to cover evenly. Cook about 30 seconds. (easiest way to do this is fill a 1/4-cup measuring cup 3/4 full.
- Flip and cook another 10 seconds.
- Remove and set aside on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.