Strawberry Scones made lighter, a wonderful breakfast and a delicious way to use up fresh strawberries!
Can a morning get better than freshly baked strawberry scones topped with strawberry preserves? I love scones because they are easy to make, and not too sweet. They’re perfect for breakfast or even as the base for a strawberry shortcake topped with fresh berries and whipped cream. I’ve made so many variations from Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones to Apple Scones with Spiced Glaze and even Blueberry Scones.
Strawberries are in abundance this time of year, and they always make me think of scones. These Strawberry Scones are a delicious way to use up fresh strawberries. For more of my favorite ways to bake with strawberries, try this Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal, Strawberry Squares, and Roasted Strawberry Banana Bread.
What is the secret to making good scones?
There are a few tricks to making perfect scones.
- The first is to keep the dough as cold as possible. I use frozen butter and cold buttermilk to make sure the dough doesn’t get too warm.
- Also, make sure not to overwork the dough when you’re mixing it.
- And lastly, when you place the scones on the baking sheet, do not press them down.
How to Make Strawberry Scones from Scratch
First, mix the strawberries with one tablespoon of sugar. Next, mix the flours, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder, and then grate the frozen butter into the dry ingredients.
Combine the buttermilk and vanilla and slowly stir into the flour. Fold in the strawberries and drop eight large spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet. Then, sprinkle with sugar and bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
How to Meal Prep
These scones freeze well and would be perfect for a quick breakfast. Freeze leftovers in a zip-locked bag or reusable container and thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
- Swap strawberries with blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.
- If strawberries aren’t in season, use frozen.
- If you want to use only white flour, the points remain the same.
More Healthy Scone Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lemon Cranberry Scones
- Savory Zucchini Asiago Tomato Scones
- Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
- Apple Scones with Spiced Glaze
- Pomegranate Scones
- 1 cup fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tsp for topping
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (half stick) frozen butter
- 3/4 cups 1% light buttermilk cold
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Measure out ¼ cup of sugar and remove 1 tbsp. Mix strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients including the remaining sugar.
- Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour.
- Mix well with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, vanilla.
- Using a fork, slowly stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened. Do not over work the dough.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone sheet or parchment paper.
- Drop 8 equal large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact). Sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar. Bake in the center rack 18 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.
- Optional: drizzle with glaze if desired by mixing powdered sugar and milk, see https://www.skinnytaste.com/delightful-apple-spiced-scones-with/ for recipe.