Spinach and Quinoa Patties
These spinach and quinoa patties are delicious, vegetarian and packed with protein and nutrients! They almost make me think I’m eating a chicken cutlet or meatball, without the meat.
Spinach and Quinoa Patties
These vegetarian patties make a delicious main, perfect with an egg on top or serve them along a salad. And because they make a lot, they are also great to make ahead for meal prep! If you love quinoa, you may also like Salmon Quinoa Burgers, Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowls and Southwestern Black Bean Quinoa Mango Salad.
These Spinach and Quinoa Patties make enough for several meals which makes them perfect for meal prep. I had one topped with a poached egg for breakfast which was super yummy. The rest I served as a main course for dinner with a big avocado salad and felt quite satisfied. I can’t help thinking how good this would be with melted cheese on top in place of a burger to make it more of a veggie-quinoa burger.
Another bonus, these quinoa patties are inexpensive to make, and can be adapted for gluten-free diets.
The recipe was adapted from Heidi Swanson’s cookbook Super Natural Every Day (affil link). Her original recipe calls for kale, but since I made them on a whim, all I had was spinach and that worked out just fine. My (meat-loving) husband even thought they were great.
- Swap the spinach for kale
- Make them dairy free by swapping the Parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast.
- If you prefer to bake them, Bake in a preheated oven 375 for 8 to 10 minutes on each side.
More Quinoa Recipes You Will Love
- Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowls
- Southwestern Black Bean Quinoa Mango Salad
- Salmon Quinoa Burgers
- Quinoa Fried Rice
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Quinoa and Spinach Patties
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese*
- 3 large scallions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup steamed spinach, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, for GF, be sure to use GF breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and place the grains in a medium sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, eggs, Parmesan, scallions, garlic, salt, steamed spinach, and breadcrumbs. Let everything sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. The batter should be moist, but not runny. Form patties 1/4 cup each.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. In 2 or 3 batches, cook the patties covered for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until browned and golden.