Skinny Honey Lemon Bars
Pucker Up! These sweet and tangy bars are lighter than traditional bars, but are not lacking in flavor! The sweet and tart topping is made from fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and sweetened with honey atop a shortbread crust. Perfect for potlucks, back yard parties and picnics.
I recently found a lightened up Lemon Bar on a blog (I forget which, sorry) that was adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Light and Healthy Cookbook. I tested it out and further adapted the recipe swapping out ingredients and changing it to my taste and the result was a sweet-tart bar I couldn’t resist! I’m really not sure what the original recipe looked like, bit I can tell you I loved how these turned out and I will certainly be making them again..
The only problem with these lemon bars is that I find myself making up excuses as to why I can eat another. I suggest making these only if you have some friends to share them with!
Skinny Honey Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- 6 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into bits and chilled
- 1 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar, for dusting on top
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Prepare an 8-inch square pan by lightly spraying the inside of the pan with baking spray before lining it with 2 long sheets of aluminum foil folded to fit inside and placed perpendicular to each other in the pan. This is so you can get the bars out after they are cooked, so don’t skip this step.
- Cut the sheets long enough to hang over the sides to use as handles to lift out the baked lemon bars before cutting into squares.
- Spray the inside of the foil lined pan with baking spray.
- For the crust: In a food processor combine the flours, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, baking powder and salt and process until well combined.
- Add the butter and yogurt to the flour mixture at once and pulse at least a dozen times before turning out into the prepared pan and pressing into an even layer.
- Bake until evenly browned about 20-22 minutes.
- Cool the crust on a metal rack for at least 15 – 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Prepare the filling by whisking together the eggs, honey, lemon zest, flour and the salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the lemon juice and pour over the cooled crust.
- Bake until filling is set, about 22 minutes.
- Cool completely before lifting the bars out of the pan with the foil.
- Cut into 9 squares and dust with confectioners sugar.
Makes 9 bars.
Can be made a day ahead.
Yield: 9 servings , Serving Size: 1 bar
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 172 calories
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 146mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 24g
- Protein: 2.3g