Steak and Cheese Sandwiches with Onions and Mushrooms are one of my favorite things to eat! This lighter version has some meaty mushrooms mixed in with the steak, it’s delish!
Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
I have a confession to make… steak and cheese sandwiches are my weakness! I love them for lunch or dinner and have a really hard time passing up a Charley’s Subs whenever I’m in the mall. I blame my Mom, she always made the BEST steak and cheese sandwiches for dinner, and luckily I don’t have to give them up and neither do you! I love this with Swiss, provolone, cheddar or even American cheese… whatever you wish!
Yesterday I posted a recipe for Quick Skillet Steak with Mushrooms and Onions, this sandwich uses that steak recipe as the filling, also a great way to use up leftovers. And as I’ve mentioned before, I always scoop out some of the bread to make a bigger sandwich without the added calories or points.
Steak and Cheese Sandwiches with Onions and Mushrooms
For the steak:
For the sandwich:
- 12 oz French bread or baguette, cut into 4 pieces*
- 12 ultra thin slices mozzarella or provolone cheese, Sargento
- Make your steak and onions using this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425F or set your broiler to low.
- Slice the bread open and scoop out some of the bread in the center, about 1 ounce from each piece.
- Divide steak and mushrooms evenly between the four pieces of bread and the cheese over each one.
- Place sandwiches on a sheet pan and heat in the oven or broiler until the cheese melts; 2 - 3 minutes, careful not to burn if using the broiler.