Steamed mussels get a kick with spicy Piri Piri Sauce which is basically a kicked up chimichurri sauce.
Steamed Mussels with Piri Piri
We love mussels, they are so easy and fast to cook yourself! Here I steamed them with white wine, then topped them with this fresh sauce, which adds brightness and tons of flavor. You can serve this as a light dinner with some crusty bread, or as an appetizer.
These are so good, you’ll want to lick the bowl clean! This recipe is my cousin Kat’s, a dish her Dad always made. She’s half Brazilian, half Argentinian so many of her dishes have a fusion of both flavors.
How To Buy and Clean Mussels
- When purchasing mussels, look for uncracked, tightly closed shells or shells that close when lightly tapped.
- Scrub them with a stiff brush under cold running water to remove any sand. The shells will be closed until you cook them, discard any shells that don’t open. To debeard, use your fingers to firmly pull out the hairy filaments.
How To Steam Mussels
To steam mussels, put 1 cup liquid (water or a mix of water and white wine or beer) in a 4- to 6-quart pot. Bring the liquid to a boil, then add the mussels and cover. Cook until the mussels open wide. This will take 4 to 6 minutes, but check frequently after 4 minutes. Scoop out the mussels with a slotted spoon and discard any that are unopened.
More Seafood Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Mussels Fra Diavolo
- Grilled Lobster Tails with Butter
- Cajun Shrimp in Foil
- Spicy Shrimp with Chilies and Garlic
- Halibut and Shellfish Soup
Steamed Mussels with Piri Piri Sauce
For the sauce:
For the mussels:
- 2 pounds fresh live mussels
- 3/4 cup white wine, use broth for whole30
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Sit at room temperature while preparing the mussels.
- Place mussels in a colander and rinse them under cold water to remove any sand. Scrub them with a stiff brush under cold running water to remove any sand. The shells will be closed until you cook them, discard any cracked shells. To debeard, use your fingers to firmly pull out the hairy filaments.
- Clean off the outsides with a brush to remove any barnacles or dirt.
- Place 3/4 cups of water and 3/4 cup of white wine in a large pot and bring to boil. Add the mussels, cover and steam until the mussels all open, 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully drain water and divide in 4 bowls.
- Top the mussels with the Piri Piri and enjoy!