Spicy Shrimp with Chilies and Garlic
Sauteed shrimp with garlic, dried chilies and lemon juice – it’s spicy, garlicky, acidic and sooooo good! You can serve this as an appetizer or for dinner over some baby greens with a crusty whole wheat baguette. And the best part about this dish – it’s ready in under 15 minutes.
I love shrimp on any summer day. A few of my favorite easy shrimp recipes are Shrimp Scampi Foil Packets, Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Milk Tomatoes and Cilantro, Cajun Shrimp in Foil, and Sheet Pan Shrimp with Broccolini and Tomatoes.
If you don’t have dried chilies, you can use a generous amount of crushed red pepper. If you don’t like spicy food, you can leave the chilies out completely. You can also make this with lime juice and cilantro for a twist of this dish, see Cilantro Lime Shrimp. This is gluten-free, paleo-friendly and low calorie… but trust me, you would never know it (it’s THAT good!).
Spicy Shrimp with Chilies
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 dried chilies, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of the oil to the pan and half of the chilies and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, when hot add half of the shrimp.
- Cook undisturbed for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp over and cook until opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil and remaining chilies; cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining shrimp to the pan and cook, undisturbed, for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp over, add the garlic, and cook until the shrimp is opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
- Return the first batch of shrimp to the skillet, mix well so that the garlic is evenly incorporated and remove the pan from the heat.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the shrimp.
- Add the parsley and toss well.
- Serve with crusty whole wheat bread and a salad.