Stuffed Delicata Squash with Sausage-Mushroom Stuffing
Stuffed Delicata Squash is stuffed with a savory sausage stuffing made with celery, onion and mushrooms, a wonderful contrast to the sweet flavor of the squash.
Stuffed Delicata Squash
Delicata squash is very versatile, you can make them into a side dish like I did with this Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash or stuff them like I did here! It’s perfect for fall and in season late summer to early winter. The best part is there’s no need to peel them making this an easy dish!
I’m so excited to see delicata squash is finally in season, also known as “sweet potato squash” for its brown sugar flavor which tastes similar to acorn or butternut squash. It’s high in beta-carotene and vitamin C, relatively low in calories.
If this is part of a multi-course meal one half is satisfying with a salad or side, or simply enjoy two to make it a meal.
Stuffed Delicata Squash with Chicken Sausage-Mushroom Stuffing
- 3 small delicata squash, about 16 ounces each, halved and seeded
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 oz chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray the cut sides of the squash with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place face down on a large baking sheet. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan cook sausage on medium heat, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks until the sausage is cooked through and is browned. Add the onion and celery; cook until celery is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan, more salt and pepper if needed and cook, stirring 5 minutes, then cook covered for 2 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and cooked through.
- Divide (1/2 cup) between the squash, top with parmesan cheese and bake 10 minutes.