Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes Skillet (One Pot)
This easy one-pot skillet dinner is made with chicken sausage, bell peppers, zucchini, baby red potatoes and fresh herbs.
Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes
I love a meal that only dirties one pot because although I may love to cook, I really don’t love to clean! You can see all my one-pot recipes here, in fact I even have a one pot cookbook (affil link) dedicated to one pot cooking!
This dish is so simple to make but full of fresh flavor! I love using multi-color peppers so it’s also colorful since we eat with our eyes.
You can use Italian chicken sausage or turkey sausage depending on what is available to you in your area. I’ve tasted several brands and really came to love Al Fresco’s sweet chicken sausage or Premio’s chicken sausage. My local health food store and Italian deli also carry their own homemade sausage which is wonderful.
- If rosemary isn’t your thing, use fresh thyme instead.
- I used multi-color peppers because I love the color, but you can stick with one color to make it easier.
- Make it vegetarian with Vegetarian sausage.
Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes Skillet
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, cut in half or quartered
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 14 oz Italian chicken sausage, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of the knife
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced 1-inch squares
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced 1-inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, diced 1-inch squares
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, or other fresh herb such as thyme
- 2 cups zucchini, 1/2 inch thick and quartered
- Place oil and potatoes in a large, deep non-stick skillet with a tight fitting lid on high heat; season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- When the skillet gets hot and starts to sizzle, reduce heat to low and cook with a tight lid on for about 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the potatoes from burning.
- Remove from heat and let them sit 5 minutes without removing the lid, then set the potatoes aside on a dish.
- Add the sausage to the skillet and saute on medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally until browned but not quite cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Season chopped vegetables with salt and pepper. Add onions, peppers, garlic and rosemary to the skillet and mix.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers become slightly browned.
- Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes, mixing as it cooks until cooked through.
- Return the potatoes back to the skillet and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper as needed; cover and cook 5 more minutes.