Delicious meatballs seasoned with a hint of allspice and served in a creamy beef gravy. These meatballs seems decadent but they are actually lighter than you think. Serve them as an appetizer with toothpicks or over your favorite noodles.
My daughter discovered her love for Swedish meatballs a few years ago and she just loves my skinny version. You can easily make more gravy by adding more broth and cream cheese at the end. To make these gluten free you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs. Enjoy!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 cups reduced sodium beef stock
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- In a large deep saute pan, heat oil on medium heat, add onions and garlic; sauté until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add celery and parsley and cook until soft, about 3-4 more minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes.
- In a large bowl combine beef, egg, onion mixture, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and allspice.
- Mix well and form meatballs with your hands 1/8 cup each (fill 1/4 cup then divide the meat in half).
- Add beef stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly drop meatballs into the broth.
- Cover and cook about 20 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon and set aside in a serving dish.
- Strain the stock, add to blender with cream cheese and pulse until smooth.
- Return to pan and simmer a few minutes to thicken, then pour over meatballs.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over noodles or with toothpicks if you want to set these out as an appetizer.
This makes 22 meatballs, nutritional info is based on 5 meatballs with gravy.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 5 meatballs
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 213.5 calories
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 346mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 25.1g