Whipped Ricotta Toast with Roasted Tomatoes on crusty bread and topped with garlicky tomatoes, shallots, and basil is the perfect way to enjoy fresh summer tomatoes.
Whipped Ricotta Toast with Roasted Tomatoes
Whipped ricotta is so decadent yet so simple to make. It’s delicious on a thick slice of toasted bread. I add roasted garlic, salt, and pepper to the ricotta and then mix it all up in my food processor. It is the best whipped ricotta. I then spread a thick layer on a slice of baguette and top it with roasted tomatoes, shallots, and basil. For some other easy toast ideas, try my Hummus Avocado Toast and Avocado Crab Toast.
Whipped Ricotta Toast Ingredients
Let’s break down all the components for this ricotta tomato toast recipe.
- Ricotta: I use part-skim ricotta whipped in the food processor. I season it with the roasted garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Garlic: Roasting the garlic makes all the difference in this recipe. It’s so good! Start by cutting the top of the head off the whole thing of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap in foil. Then cook in a 400-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Tomatoes: By now, you know how much I love summer tomatoes, especially grape tomatoes. Roasting them in the oven really brings out their sweetness.
- Shallots: Shallots are great because they are more subtle and less overpowering than yellow or red onions.
- Basil: Is there a more classic flavor combo than tomatoes and basil? Fresh basil is the perfect addition to any summer dish.
- Bread: Choose a nice crusty bread. I initially tested this recipe using a slice of Dave’s Killer whole grain bread to make it “healthier,” but it wasn’t thick or hearty enough to hold the toppings. The French baguette held up much better.
Whipped Ricotta Toast Variations:
- Swap the baguette for sourdough.
- Use cherry tomatoes instead of grape tomatoes.
- Sub fresh rosemary or oregano for basil.
- Add red pepper flakes for some heat.
More Ricotta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Spinach Ricotta Quiche
- Ricotta Cheese Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Ricotta Mousse
- Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
- Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce
Whipped Ricotta Toast with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes and Shallots
- 1 medium head garlic
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dry pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium shallot, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 8- ounces French baguette
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup part skim milk ricotta
- ¼ cup chopped basil, for garnish
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut just the top of the head of garlic off, leaving cloves intact and exposed. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, place on medium sheet pan and roast for 25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, shallots, remaining 2 teaspoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to coat. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment.
- After garlic has roasted for 25 minutes, leave it in the oven then add the sheet pan with the tomatoes and shallots and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into 20 (½-inch) slices.
- Remove both sheet pans from the oven. Turn the oven off, take wrapped garlic off sheet pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Lay bread slices in an even layer on the sheet pan, spray lightly with olive oil and place the sheet pan in the oven to allow bread to toast while you whip the ricotta.
- Unwrap the garlic and carefully squeeze or scoop cloves into a food processor fitted with metal blade. Add the ricotta, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste then process for 30 seconds. Scrap sides with a spatula and pulse 2-3 times to thoroughly combine.
- Remove bread from oven and assemble toast.
To assemble toast:
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of whipped ricotta onto each piece of bread. Evenly distribute tomatoes and shallots on to toasts.
- Top each with basil, a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes, if using. Serve immediately.