Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Moist and delicious low fat whole wheat muffins loaded with blueberries in every bite.
Isn’t it dissatisfying when you buy a blueberry muffin thinking it’s a healthy breakfast option and it’s basically a sweet piece of cake with blueberries and lots of fat disguised as a muffin?
These muffins are low in calories and fat, high in fiber and good for you! Most of the fat has been replaced by applesauce which gives you a very moist muffin without all the added fat. You can make a half batch just as easily as making a whole batch if 12 muffins are too much for your household. I love them best fresh out of the oven, but I usually reheat them a few seconds in the micro the next day and tightly wrap any remaining with plastic wrap.
Low Fat Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat pastry flour, Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, about 6.5 oz
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, melted butter, vanilla and applesauce.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into 12 lined muffin tins and bake at 325° for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes.