Chicken cutlets dipped in lemon and olive oil, gently coated in a combination of bread crumbs and romano cheese then rolled with prosciutto, cheese and red onion and baked until golden. Serve this with a simple arugula salad or tomato salad for a complete dinner.
I try to make a dish from my friend Julia’s blog a few times a month to get show her some love, but also because she’s a wonderful cook and I know her recipes won’t fail me. I’ve had my eye on this one for a while, a perfect way to make chicken breasts if you’re tired of the same old thing. I loved using olive oil and lemon juice to dip the chicken in before the breadcrumbs, it really added to the dish.
There is no need to season the chicken with salt, the prosciutto gives you all the salt you need. If you are watching your sodium, use low sodium ham in place of the prosciutto and use unseasoned breadcrumbs or make your own instead. I used Sargento reduced fat provolone cheese which was wonderful and really complimented the prosciutto!
- 8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
- 4 2.8 oz slices thin lean prosciutto, sliced in half
- 4 slices Sargento reduced fat provolone or mozzarella, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese, or parmesan
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh pepper
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- olive oil non-stick spray
- Wash and dry cutlets well with paper towels.
- Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl and olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in another bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Dip the chicken in the lemon-oil mixture, then in the breadcrumbs to coat well.
- Place each cutlet on a work surface such as a cutting board and lay 1/2 slice prosciutto, 1/2 slice cheese and a few chunks red onion on one side of the chicken cutlet.
- Roll and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- When finished, top with remaining crumbs and spray lightly with oil.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately!