Zucchini Noodles and Turkey Meatballs
I’ve been making zucchini noodles long before I got my spiralizer, but now they are so popular you can even buy them pre-cut in the supermarket. Zucchini is one of my favorite veggies, serving them in place of noodles is my favorite low-carb swap.
I made a pot of my Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs at my toddler’s request but rather than eating mine with pasta, I served it over (zucchini noodles) for a lighter low-carb alternative (perfect for using up zucchini from your garden). If your family isn’t a fan (like my husband) just cook up some pasta for them and everyone’s happy!
When it comes to making zucchini noodles, a good rule of thumb I like to follow is to use one medium zucchini per person. You lose some when you cut them and the shrink a bit when they cook. To cut them, I use my spiralizer (affil link) or you can use a mandolin (affil link) fitted with a julienne blade. If using a mandolin, be careful the blades are VERY sharp.
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Zoodles and Meatballs (zucchini noodles with slow cooker turkey meatballs)
- Make the meatballs in the crock pot according to directions here.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the oil, onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook about 1 minute. Give it a stir to mix everything around and cook another 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through yet firm.
- Quickly remove from skillet to prevent them from further cooking.
- Divide the zucchini between 3 bowls and top with 4 meatballs and sauce, add some grated cheese and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.