Crock Pot Kid-Friendly Turkey Chili Recipe
This chili recipe is just for the kiddos (or picky family members)! A kid-friendly chili with ground turkey, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes and spices. Serve it with some chips on the side for the perfect back to school lunch.
Crock Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
My youngest daughter is heading to school next week (Pre-K) and this year she’ll be bringing lunch to class for the first time. She doesn’t eat sandwiches (neither did my oldest), so I’m going to have to get pretty creative to make sure she’s still eating healthy balanced meals. I just ordered this Foogo Stainless steal leak-proof thermos from Amazon, which I also did with my oldest daughter and I’ll be filling it with some of her favorite warm meals.
Now I love me some chili, and I’m super excited for the colder weather to make some of my faves like Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili, Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili, and Turkey Chili Taco Soup, but for my little one who doesn’t like beans… or spicy food, this recipe is perfect (it’s also gluten-free). It’s super easy to make, I did it in the crock pot, but you can also simmer it on the stove. It makes 5 adult size servings, and you can easily double the recipes and freeze it for future freezer-friendly meals.
And since so many are asking, I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker. I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This crock pot is so great, I actually own two!
Crock Pot Kid-Friendly Turkey Chili
This one’s just for the kiddos (or picky family members)! A mild, kid-friendly chili is made with ground turkey, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes and spices. Top it with your favorite toppings, and serve it with some chips on the side for the perfect, back to school lunch.
- 1.3 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 10 oz can Rotel Mild Tomatoes
- 8 oz small can plain tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- diced avocado
- reduced fat sour cream
- reduced fat shredded cheese
- baked tortilla chips
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the turkey, season with salt and cook, breaking up with a spoon until turkey browns and is no longer pink; place into the slow cooker.
- Add the oil to the skillet and sauté the onion, garlic and bell pepper over medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon over turkey into the slow cooker and stir in corn and tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, paprika and salt, mix until well blended.
- Pour chicken broth into the crock pot and add the bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or LOW 6 hours.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 0
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 226 calories
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Sodium: 688mg
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 31g