Baked Chicken Thighs with Brussels and Sweet Potato
Baked Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato, a quick and easy one-pot chicken dinner for a chilly, fall night.
Baked Chicken with Brussels and Sweet Potato
This one-pot chicken dish is perfect for the cooler weather. I make this dish all the time because it’s so easy, so good and so simple to make. Made with just 5 ingredients not counting salt and pepper it’s also Whole30 and Paleo-friendly. Some other simple one-dish meals that you might want to try are Sheet Pan Balsamic-Herb Chicken and Vegetables and One Pan Roasted Potatoes, Sausage and Peppers.
This well-balanced meal gives you protein, vegetables, and carbs all in one dish. The sweet potatoes are a healthy carb with more fiber than regular potatoes and are slightly lower on the glycemic index.
I love cooking this dish because it’s so simple. I sometimes even cut the sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts earlier in the day. So, when it comes time to cook dinner, all I have to do is assemble and season the ingredients on the pan. I just pop it in the oven and go on with my busy evening.
I keep the skin on the chicken to let the fat from the skin drip onto the vegetables, which gives them so much flavor. The skin gets crisp and delicious, but of course, you can discard it after baking if you prefer not to eat it. But, you definitely want to leave the skin on the when you cook this one.
Variations and Tips:
- You can switch out the sweet potatoes with butternut squash, baby red potatoes or another healthy autumn vegetable.
- Swap the chicken thighs for any bone-in, skin-on chicken parts.
More Chicken Recipes You Will Love:
- Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Leeks
- Chicken Thighs with Artichoke Hearts and Feta Cheese
- Air Fryer Asian-Glazed Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Embarrassingly Easy Crock Pot Salsa Chicken Thighs
- Pollo in Potacchio (Italian Braised Chicken)
Baked Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato
- olive oil spray
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (8 oz each) , peeled and diced 3/4-inch
- 4 large chicken thighs, on the bone, with skin (7 ounces each)
- 1 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an oval baking dish with oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes on one side and the Brussels sprouts on the other. Spritz the vegetables with olive oil and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste.
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and rosemary. Place chicken thighs on top of the vegetables, skin side down.
- Bake 30 minutes, set the chicken aside and stir the vegetables.
- Place the chicken back in the dish skin side up and cook until the chicken skin is browned and the vegetables are roasted and tender, about 30 to 35 minutes more. Optional, broil 2 to 3 minutes for crisper skin.
Photo credit: Erin Alvarez