These easy 5-ingredient BBQ Chicken Foil Packets can be baked in the oven or made on the grill! An easy meal-in-one and the best part, easy cleanup!
BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
These BBQ Chicken Foil Packets are delicious, made with seasoned chicken, your favorite BBQ sauce and frozen veggies. Get dinner on the table with little prep and easy clean up! Chances are, you probably have all these ingredients!
I love foil packet meals for convenient weeknight dinners to throw on the grill or make in the oven. You can prep them ahead and refrigerate until ready to cook. My preferred foil for foil packet meals is Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil which has a heavier gauge foil, perfect so you don’t have to worry about breaking or tearing, even with heavier foods and it protects food over direct heat.
I wanted to keep this as simple as possible, and knowing it’s not easy to get fresh produce I am sure many of you have your freezer stocked with frozen veggies. See below with easy modifications.
BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
Chicken – I used drumsticks and thighs but if you prefer white meat, replace the two pieces with one larger on the bone breast, with the skin removed.
Veggies – For the veggies, I used frozen mixed vegetables here, which taste so good from the juices of the chicken and BBQ sauce as it cooks. For variations, you can also use peas and carrots or corn instead.
BBQ Sauce – Use your favorite brand of BBQ sauce, or use your own homemade Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce.
Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil is also available in a wider 18-inch roll, great for larger foil packets to throw on the grill.
How To Make A Foil Packet
- Tear off an 18” sheet of foil.
- Center the food on the foil sheet.
- Bring up the long sides of the foil, so the ends meet over the food.
- Double fold the ends, leaving room for heat to circulate inside.
- Double fold the two short ends to seal the packet.
- Bake or grill as instructed.
Leave a comment and share some of your favorite foil packet dinners!
More Foil Packet Recipes You Will Love!
- Grilled Clams in Foil
- Shrimp Scampi Foil Packets
- Cajun Shrimp in Foil
- Easy Grilled Fish Foil Packets
- Sausage Butternut and Brussels in Foil
BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
- 8 pieces chicken drumsticks and thighs, on the bone, skinned
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce, divided
- optional chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 4 pieces Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, 12 x 18 inches
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or the oven to 425F.
- Cut four large 18 x 12-inch pieces of foil and layout on a flat surface.
- Place 3/4 cup frozen mixed veggies in the center of each piece of foil.
- Season chicken with salt, garlic powder and paprika. Brush both sides of the chicken with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce and place 2 pieces (1 drumstick, 1 thigh) in the middle of each foil packet.
- Bring up the long sides of the foil, so the ends meet over the food. Double fold the ends, leaving room for heat to circulate inside. Double fold the two short ends to seal the packet tight, so no steam escapes.
To Grill the Foil Packets:
- Place foil packets onto a preheated grill over medium-high heat and grill, covered over indirect heat for 50 to 55 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and chicken reaches an internal temp of 160F when tested with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from the grill and carefully open the foil packets. Brush chicken with reserved BBQ sauce and cook uncovered 5 minutes more. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Bake Foil Packets in the Oven:
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place foil packets on a baking sheet and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender and reaches an internal temp of 160F with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Carefully open foil and brush the chicken with remaining BBQ sauce, bake 5 minutes uncovered and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Reynolds. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Skinnytaste possible. All thoughts are my own.
46 comments on “BBQ Chicken Foil Packets”
Hi I’m wondering what the cook time and temp would be for boneless skinless chicken breast!? Thanks
hubby loves these when we don’t barbecue something. Very easy but I use fresh veggies that I have on hand, tonight it was carrots, broccoli, red bell pepper, zucchini and corn. Yum. Thanks again for another keeper.
Made this today.
Used frozen California Medley and added frozen corn. We loved it!! Thank you for this great easy recipe!
Super easy! I used boneless chicken breasts and instead of frozen veggies, I added sliced onion and red and orange bell peppers. I seasoned the chicken with salt, onion powder and garlic powder before spooning on the BBQ sauce. To lower calories/sugar, I only used about 1 1/2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce. The chicken breasts were huge. This was so flavorful and will make this again!
Hi! How long and at what temp did you cook using boneless skinless breasts, please?
This is gooood. I don’t know why I don’t cook more stuff in foil packets! It’s one of the most fool-proof ways to cook. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, and the meat was so tender and flavorful. It makes a lovely broth inside the packet. I made some little potatoes in the air fryer along with this, and I just served the contents of the packet, broth and all, over the potatoes. It ended up being like a really hearty stew. Definitely keeping this one in rotation.