Cream Cheese-Filled Almond Flour Banana Muffins
If your house is anything like mine, our bananas seem to get ripe faster than we can eat them. But that’s never a problem because my family loves when I bake banana bread or muffins, so the riper, the better! When I made these Almond Flour Banana Cream Cheese Muffins for my family, they couldn’t get enough. Some other healthy banana muffin recipes to try are these Maple Pecan Banana Muffins and Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins.
These banana cream cheese muffins are loaded with ripe bananas and stuffed with cream cheese and sugar. They come out so incredibly moist they almost fall apart. These muffins are also gluten-free, as I used almond and coconut flours instead of wheat.
Almond flour which is made from ground almonds is incredibly nutritious. Especially rich in vitamin E and magnesium, two important nutrients for health according to Healthline.
What is the secret to making moist muffins?
I have a few secrets for making moist banana muffins.
- Almond flour has more fat than wheat which makes these muffins moister than wheat flour.
- The cream cheese in the middle adds a lot of creaminess.
- Ripe bananas give these muffins moisture while also reducing the fat and sugar needed.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat Banana Muffins
Muffins are great for meal prep. One batch makes 12 cream cheese-filled muffins, which will last in the fridge for four to five days. You can also freeze muffins by individually wrapping them in plastic wrap or foil and storing them in a zip-locked bag or container.
You can pull the muffins out of the freezer as you need them. Just place in the refrigerator overnight and warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds. You can also microwave them straight from the freezer for a little longer.
- Top with chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts or mix in half a cup of nuts for banana nut muffins.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Yogurt Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Whole Grain Apple Nut Muffins
- Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Muffins
- Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread Muffins
Cream Cheese-Filled Banana Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups from 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/3 cup unpacked brown sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cupcake tin with liners.
- Mash bananas in a bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, bananas and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture, then blend at low speed until just combined.
- Mix the cream cheese and remaining sugar.
- Pour half the batter into muffin pan then add about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese to the center of each muffin and top with the remaining batter; bake on the center rack for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.