The Easiest Pasta and Broccoli Recipe that my whole family loves, including my kids. Only 5 ingredients and one pot, ready in under 15 minutes!
Pasta and Broccoli Recipe
I make this pasta and broccoli recipe at least twice a month when I need a quick meal I know everyone will enjoy. The best part, it’s made with just 5 ingredients (not counting salt and pepper) and another one-pot recipe. Start to finish dinner is on the table in 15 minutes – a dinner time win!! For a sausage version you may like this Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli.
I’m really not sure why I haven’t posted this sooner, this is the recipe my oldest daughter wanted to learn how to make when she went away at college. In fact, as I was photographing this today, she was standing right next to me with a plate and bowl in hand.
Typically I don’t like mushy broccoli, but for this recipe I over-cook it on purpose. I basically boil the pasta and broccoli together at the same time, then drain them together. When everything is mixed in with the garlic and cheese, it creates a sort of pesto-like sauce that coats the pasta and the kids can’t pick out and it’s delicious!
I’ve since made variations of it adding sausage in this Pasta with Broccoli and Sausage recipe, which is also divine if your family insists on having meat. To be honest, I never miss it. You can see all my pasta recipes here for more dinner ideas!
Pasta and Broccoli Tips for Success
A few quick tips for making this perfect every time.
- Don’t overcook the pasta, there is nothing worse than mushy pasta.
- Reserve some of the pasta water before draining, you’ll add some of it back in after which will keep it from being dry, without having to add too much oil.
- And most importantly, use good cheese! I like Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano, don’t buy the cheap stuff, it’s just not the same.
- If you like a little spice, add some crushed red pepper flakes.
How To Make
More Pasta Recipe You May Like:
- Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
- Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Baked Ziti with Spinach
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
Easiest Pasta and Broccoli Recipe
- 12 oz uncooked pasta, use brown rice or quinoa pasta for gluten-free
- 6 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets, no stems
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- When water boils, add pasta and broccoli at the same time and cook according to pasta instructions for al dente.
- When pasta is almost done cooking, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and broccoli.
- Return the pot to the stove and set heat to high; add 1 tbsp olive oil, when hot, add garlic. Cook until golden, reduce flame to low and add pasta back to the pot.
- Mix well, add remaining olive oil, grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste mixing well and smashing any large pieces of broccoli to break up.
- Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water and mix well adding more if needed.
- Serve in pasta bowls with additional grated cheese on the side.