This easy Hawaiian teriyaki burger is made with lean ground beef, carrots, scallions and topped with grilled pineapple and a homemade pineapple teriyaki sauce.
This burger was inspired by a trip to Disney World with my husband and youngest daughter Madison. We stayed at the Grand Floridian Resort which was a lovely place to stay. One of those nights we ate dinner at the Kona Cafe at Disney’s Polynesian Resort, where I had a delicious teriyaki steak topped with pineapple; which was the inspiration for this burger recipe.
The homemade pineapple teriyaki sauce is delicious, but if you wish you can use pre-made teriyaki marinade to speed this up. Canned pineapple can also be used instead of fresh, just be sure it’s packed in juice and not syrup.
To lower the carbs, swap the bun out for a bed of lettuce and drizzle the teriyaki sauce on top.
Pineapple-teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
- cornstarch, to thicken
- low-sodium soy sauce, for unami and salt
- pineapple juice, for sweetness and acidity
- brown sugar, for sweetness
- fresh ginger, for pungent flavor
- garlic, for pungent flavor
Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
- 2 lbs 93% ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce, or more if you like it spicy
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- 8 whole wheat 100 calorie buns, I used Martin's
- 8 lettuce leaves
For the pineapple teriyaki sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
For the burgers:
- Gently combine the ground beef with grated carrots, scallions, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
- Form into 8 equal sized patties, try not to overwork the meat so it doesn't get tough.
For the teriyaki sauce:
- Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic in small saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add cornstarch water mixture and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the grill. When hot clean the grates and spray with oil.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook on high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until burgers are cooked to your liking.
- While the burgers are cooking, grill the pineapple slices for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun. Top with the cooked burger and 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce, then top with grilled pineapple.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.