A delicious, creamy White Bean Turkey Chili recipe made with canned white beans, ground turkey, aromatics and spices – no tomatoes!
White Bean Turkey Chili
This easy chili can be made on the stove, slow cooker or Instant Pot. Leftovers taste even better the next day for lunch! More chili recipes you might enjoy are Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chili, Quick Beef Chili and No Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili.
My friend Debbie shared this recipe, which I’ve tweaked through the years, and I remember asking her if she forgot to tell me about the tomatoes. Nope, no tomatoes in this chili, which I remember blew my mind. Nowadays it’s quite common to see a white chili recipe, so I’m sure you won’t be surprised. This makes a lot, you can make a batch for dinner and freeze the leftovers for another night. Toppings, are optional, you can top it with anything you like on your chili. Here’s a few suggestions:
- Crushed Chips
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Cilantro or scallions
- Chopped Scallions or Red Onions
- Diced Avocado
- Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack Cheese, or Cheddar Cheese
- I prefer the taste of 93% lean ground turkey, but you can further lighten this with 99% lean, which will lower the WW points.
- To make this dairy free you can leave the sour cream out.
- Swap the ground turkey for ground chicken if you prefer.
- Yogurt will curdle if cooked, if you prefer yogurt just use it as a topping.
How To Freeze and Reheat Chili:
Let the chili cool then transfer to a freezer safe container. To reheat, transfer the the refrigerator the night before the thaw, then reheat on the stove or microwave.
More Chili Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Turkey Chili Taco Soup
- Chicken Taco Chili
- Crock Pot Kid Friendly Chili
- Turkey Pumpkin White Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker 3-Bean Chili
White Bean Turkey Chili
- olive oil spray
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, to your taste
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, to your taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 15.5 ounce cans of cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeno
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- chopped scallions
- Heat a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium flame. When hot, spray with oil.
- Add onions and garlic, saute until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook, breaking it up until white and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced green chilies, salt, cumin, oregano, chili powder, red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pure 1 can of beans in the blender with 1 cup of the broth. Add to the pot with the remaining beans, broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer, about 30 to 35 minutes mixing occasionally, until thickened and the flavors meld.
- Stir in sour cream and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning and salt to taste.
- To serve, topped with your favorite toppings.
- Slow Cooker directions: To make in the slow cooker, follow steps 1 to 5, reducing the broth to 1 1/2 cups and transfer to the slow cooker for 8 hours on low.
- Instant Pot directions: To make in the Instant Pot, you will need an 8 quart IP or halve the recipe. Reduce the broth to 1 1/2 cups, cook high pressure 25 minutes.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson