This easy High-Protein Zucchini Omelet, for one, is a healthy breakfast or lunch. Over 36 grams of protein and 1 cup of veggies!
High-Protein Zucchini Omelet
I’ve been prioritizing protein and vegetables, making it a point to add one cup of veggies to every meal. It’s a great way to get your daily fiber – I aim for at least 25 grams each day. Omelets are such an easy way to achieve this goal! This vegetarian omelet has a whole cup of zucchini and a mix of egg and egg whites for extra-lean protein. More of my favorite high protein eggs, these High Protein Eggs with Cottage Cheese, or these Enchilada Scrambled Eggs.
- Onion: Chop a quarter cup of red onion.
- Zucchini: Dice the zucchini into matchsticks.
- Eggs: You’ll need one egg and three-quarters cup of egg whites, which is about six eggs. You can also buy liquid egg whites at the supermarket to save time.
- Parmesan: Grated or shredded parmesan cheese will work.
- Salt and Pepper: Keep it simple with salt and pepper for seasoning.
Should I cook my veggies before putting them in an omelet?
You should cook the vegetables for a few minutes before adding the eggs to soften them.
How to Make an Omelet
- Vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium- low heat. Stir in the onion and cook for two to three minutes. Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Whisk: In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, egg whites, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Cook: Pour the eggs over the veggies in the skillet. Cover the pan and cook for about five minutes until the eggs are set. Flip the omelet over onto your plate.
- Veggies: Swap yellow squash for zucchini or add 1 cup of your favorite veggies.
- Eggs: Feel free to use more whole eggs instead of egg whites.
- Protein: Add lean breakfast sausage or ham for even more protein.
- Spice: If you like your food spicy, drizzle sriracha or hot sauce over the omelet.
- Double the recipe to feed more people.
More High-Protein Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cottage Cheese, Egg, and Sausage Frittata
- High-Protein Oat Waffles
- Roasted Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- High-Protein Scrambled Eggs with Cottage Cheese
- Banana Nut Protein Oats
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy High-Protein Zucchini Omelet recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare on my Stories!
High-Protein Zucchini Omelet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, diced into matchsticks
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Over medium-low heat, heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet.
- Stir in onion and cook until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste and cook 3 to 4 more minutes stirring occasionally, until tender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, egg whites, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Add eggs to the skillet making sure eggs cover all the vegetables. Cover and cook until the eggs set, about 5 minutes.
- Flip it over onto your plate and serve with hot sauce, or sriracha if desired.