Indian Shrimp Curry made with coconut milk, tomato sauce and warm Indian spices is a quick 20 minute curry dish you can enjoy any day of the week!
Indian Shrimp Curry
Hello again everyone, it’s Sabrina again from Cooking with Points – a recipe blog dedicated to Weight Watchers friendly recipes.
Indian curries at my favorite restaurants have always been difficult to enjoy on Weight Watchers because of the heavy use of cream in recipes. I wish I could say that recreating those recipes at home was a breeze, but most people are pretty intimidated by cooking Indian food.
This Indian Shrimp Curry throws all the preconceptions of how long and difficult curries are out the window. The spices are very easy to find at your local grocery store. I checked and my local grocer had ever single one of the spices below in their store brand as well.
The actual recipe is even easier than sourcing the ingredients. Made in one small pan, the spices bloom in just seconds. The whole recipe is cooked, start to finish, in just 15 minutes.
How to lighten up Indian Recipes:
- Swap heavy cream in recipes for coconut milk. I use lite coconut milk and cut the amount of cream they call for in half.
- Instead of sautéing foods in oil only to then be cooked (or braised) in sauces, poach them in the sauces instead. Indian food has such bold flavors, you won’t even miss the flavor from the searing.
- Use lean proteins and cook them quickly to avoid overcooking them. Salmon, shrimp, chicken, turkey and tofu are all fantastic options for swapping into lamb or dark meat chicken recipes.
Meal Prepping Tip:
I call for only 3/4 cup of the lite coconut milk in the recipe. Instead make a double batch of the sauce on Sunday when you are meal prepping by using the whole can of milk. Freeze the second half of the sauce in an ice cube tray or ziplock bags (this sauce freezes perfectly). Then, when you want a quick meal, or even if you pop into your local grocery store for a rotisserie chicken one night you can put this sauce in a saucepan on low-medium heat to gently heat and serve.
Looking for more shrimp dishes? Try my Mexican Shrimp Burrito Bowl or my Spicy Garlic Salmon recipes, they’re also done in less than 20 minutes!
How To Make Indian Shrimp Curry
Indian Shrimp Curry
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup lite canned coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- cilantro and chili peppers for garnish
- Add 2 teaspoons of the canola oil on high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute on each side then remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of the canola oil to the skillet with the onions.
- Cook the onions for 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, curry powder, chili powder, salt and garlic.
- Stir well, letting cook for 30 seconds then add in the tomato sauce and combine.
- Add in the coconut milk and shrimp to the pan and stir well.
- Garnish with cilantro and chili peppers if desired.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.