This super simple and easy to make cauliflower gratin uses light Havarti cheese, a splash of half and half, breadcrumbs and some seasoning for a delicious quick side.
Thanksgiving is at my Mom’s house this year. She makes the turkey, stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes and we all bring the rest. I always bring a vegetable or two and some appetizers, my cousin brings dessert and my sister in law usually brings a salad.
Last year I made a cauliflower gratin that was a lot more complicated than this, but I wanted to test out an easier version knowing many of you will be looking for easy sides. This is super simple, all done in the oven so you don’t need to dirty extra pots and pans. You can double this in a 9 x 12 baking dish if you want to feed more people. I used light Havarti cheese because I love the taste, but you can use Swiss, cheddar or whatever you wish.
And BTW, the serving spoon in the photo above and fork below is from Such A Time Designs. Beautiful, affordable silver plated one-of-a-kind hand stamped flatware that makes great gifts.
More Cauliflower recipes:
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Chowder
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Rice Balls (Arancini)
- Dad’s Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Light and Easy Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 oz shredded light Havarti
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place cauliflower florets in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Whisk half & half, salt, black pepper and nutmeg then pour over the cauliflower.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with shredded Havarti cheese and breadcrumbs; lightly spray with oil and bake 3 to 5 more minutes.
- If you want it a little browned on top you could place it under the broiler for a minute instead.