One of my favorite ways to enjoy green beans–in a chilled green bean salad! The delicious flavors of these balsamic green beans made with black olives, scallions and eggs complement any meal or holiday potluck.
Green Bean Salad
This easy green bean salad is so good, and tastes even better the next day which would make this a great lunch option too! A few other green bean recipes I love, Skillet Chicken with Bacon and Green Beans, Roasted Parmesan Green Beans and Potato and Green Bean Salad.
Wow, I actually first posted this recipes ten years ago today! It’s hard to believe I’ve been blogging this long. I have so many recipes in my archives that I just love and aren’t getting the attention they deserve! So, I am slowly making my way through them and giving them the make-overs they deserve. I have also gotten so much better at writing recipes through the years thanks to all the cookbooks I’ve written, and working with editors. Of course, I don’t work with an editor or proof reader on my website, so excuse the typos.
The ingredients in this salad are very clean and simple. Green beans are a good source of Vitamin C and fiber. The hard boiled eggs add protein and the flavors combined with the vinaigrette are delicious!
- Trimming the beans yourself will save money, to do this quickly gather the beans in a small pile, lining up the tips on one side then cut the tips off with a single slice using a large chef’s knife. Flip the pile over and do the same on the other side.
- To save time, you can buy pre-cut, pre-washed green beans.
- To make easy-to-peal hard boiled eggs, I always use my Instant Pot.
- Since the ingredients are simple, using a great tasting extra virgin olive oil and a good quality balsamic vinegar makes the salad!
More Vegetable Side Dishes you might enjoy:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Spinach Gratin
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Maple Soy Glazed Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Bacon
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
Green Bean Salad
- 24 oz 6 cups string beans beans, ends trimmed
- 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives drained (check labels for Whole30)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium scallions chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 5 hard boiled eggs peeled and sliced
- Place green beans in a large pot and cover with water, about 6 cups. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook until tender crisp, about 6 minutes (don’t overcook or they will get mushy).
- Drain and rinse under cold water when done to prevent them from overcooking, drain.
- In a large bowl, combine balsamic, oil, salt and pepper. Toss in the green beans, scallions and olives.
- Mix well and top with sliced eggs. Refrigerate and serve chilled or room temperature.