This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This easy makeover Spinach Gratin is creamy and decadent, with a hint of nutmeg baked in the oven topped with melted Gruyere cheese for a must at your Holiday table!
Makeover Spinach Gratin
I bring this dish to my mom’s every year for Thanksgiving because everyone loves it! Much lighter than a traditional gratin and so easy to make! This is a must for the holidays but if you want to make this for a smaller gathering, you can easily make half of the recipe. More gratin recipes I love Brussels sprouts gratin, Spiralized Turnip and Potato Au Gratin with Turkey or the classic Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin.
If you don’t know what a gratin is, it’s basically creamed spinach topped with cheese and baked in the oven.
- I used Gruyere here but Swiss or Mozzarella would work.
- You can also skip the melted cheese on top and serve it as a simple creamed spinach instead.
- Make this gluten-free using an all purpose gluten-free flour mix, such as Cup4cup.
How To Make Spinach Gratin
More Vegetable Side Dishes:
- Green Bean Salad
- Roasted Asparagus
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Maple Soy Glazed Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Bacon
- Butternut Squash Gratin
Makeover Spinach Gratin
Creamy spinach with a hint of nutmeg is baked in the oven topped with melted cheese for a decadent Holiday side dish.
Yield: 13 servings
Serving Size: 1 /2 cup
- 3 tbsp whipped butter, I used Land O Lakes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour, use Gluten free AP flour for GF
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 lbs frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, I used 3 16-oz packages
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425F°.
- In a heavy-bottomed saute pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg; cook 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a large baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and the Swiss cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Adapted from Ina Garten
Serving: 1 /2 cup, Calories: 111 kcal, Carbohydrates: 9.2 g, Protein: 7.7 g, Fat: 5.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 17.5 mg, Sodium: 287 mg, Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 2.6 g