Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burger
Lean, delicious, juicy turkey burgers made with zucchini and topped with a summer garden tomato bruschetta topping over a bed of baby arugula – no bun required!
I thought I would share this fabulous turkey burger recipe from the archives for those of you who may not have tried this.
This dish was inspired by a meal my girlfriend ordered during a girl’s night out. I always get inspired when I go out to eat, and created this lighter version which turned out delicious. For the turkey burger, I went with my skinny turkey burger recipe I posted a few years back, it’s made with shredded zucchini which gives it lots of moisture and great flavor. They are delicate, so I prefer to make them on a skillet instead of the grill.
This is the perfect summer meal for under 300 calories, especially if you have lots of tomatoes in your garden. You can easily make these vegetarian by using a boca burger or veggie burger of your choice. By the way the lovely fork is by For Such A Time Designs. Hope you enjoy!
Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burgers
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 3 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella, diced
For the turkey zucchini burgers:
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup, or 5 oz)
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp red onion, grated
- salt and fresh pepper
- oil spray
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into 10 thin slices
- 4 loose cups baby arugula
- Combine the red onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Set aside a few minutes while you chop the tomatoes, then place in the bowl.
- Add the garlic, basil and additional salt and pepper, to taste and mix well and set aside.
- Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini in a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Form into 5 equal sized patties about 5 oz each, forming them as flat as possible.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- When hot, lightly spray with oil.
- Add the burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until browned, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, careful not to burn.
- To serve, arrange 3 slices of tomatoes on each dish, then place 1 cup arugula on top in the center, then top with the burger and finish with the bruschetta (don’t forget to add the cheese), serve right away.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1 burger
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 288 calories
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 169mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 27g