Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting are perfect for Halloween parties, Thanksgiving or anytime you want a light pumpkin treat.
This recipe couldn’t be any easier. I used a box of Golden Vanilla cake mix, some canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and water. There is no oil, butter or eggs at all and the results were amazing!
These cupcakes are delicious naked, without frosting, but I thought creating a pumpkin spiced cream cheese frosting would be the perfect topping. If you want to get fancy and pipe it on like I did in the photos, you may have to make a little extra frosting, maybe 1 1/2 batches. But if you are making them for yourself and using spatula to smear some on, the amount listed here will be enough.
More Pumpkin or Halloween Desserts you might enjoy:
- Chocolate Mummy Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Shooters
- Meringue Ghost Cookies (great as cupcake toppers)
- Mummy Cake Balls
- Candy Corn Fruit Parfaits
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- 18.25 oz Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla Super Moist Cake Mix*
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 cup water
For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese, do not use fat free
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin, canned is fine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 5 tbsp packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.
- Combine cake mix and pumpkin spice in a large bowl.
- Add pumpkin puree and water, mix about 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile for the frosting, combine the cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar until smooth.
- Once the cupcakes cool, use a spatula to ice the cupcakes or pipe them which may might require making more frosting.
*Betty Crocker has reduced their cake mixes, so read the labels on your box. Dunkin Hines still carries 18.25 oz boxes.