As I was thumbing through Everyday Food Magazine, I came across this recipe that I think is brilliant! It’s like an egg-in-a-hole, but lighter and for those of you not eating carbs or gluten-free, a great alternative!
I served mine on a half point piece of whole wheat toast, but the bread is completely optional. Next time I think I’ll try these in large onion rings? Maybe even topping with a little grated cheddar? So many possibilities.
Red Pepper Egg-In-A-Hole
- olive oil spray
- 1 bell pepper cut into 4 1/2" thick rings
- 4 large eggs
- salt and fresh pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat on medium heat.
- When hot, spray olive oil spray, add pepper and let it cook a minute, then add egg into the center of the pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the egg whites are mostly set but the yolks are still runny, 2-3 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook 1 more minute for over easy, longer if you like them over well.