Slow roasting beef gives you a juicy, tender roast. You will be amazed at how easy this is to prepare and any leftovers make a great lunch the next day. Purchase a meat thermometer if you don’t own one and it will come out perfectly cooked every time. Serve this with your favorite veggies.
- Meat thermometer a must
- 2 to 3 lb top round or eye of round roast, fat removed
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1/2 onion quartered
For the Gravy: (note 1/2 cup would be 1 point+)
Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Servings: 12 • Points +: 0 • Smart Points+: 0
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 tbsp flour
- Remove roast from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking so that it reaches room temperature.
- Trim all the fat off the meat to keep it lean.
- Rub the meat with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Using toothpicks, adhere onion pieces to the top of the roast.
- Place the thermometer all the way into the center of the meat.
- Place in a pan and set your oven anywhere between 300° to 350°.
- Roast until the thermometer reads 130° for rare, 140° for medium rare, 150° for medium, and 155-160° for well done.
- Remove the roast from the oven and let it rest 10-20 minutes before you cut it so that the juices are distributed evenly. I always remove my roast beef from the oven when it is 135° for medium rare. The temperature will rise an additional 5 degrees as it sits.
To Make Gravy
- Add 1 cup of beef broth to the pan drippings, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Pour it into a small pot and heat on medium.
- Add 3 tbsp flour to remaining broth and mix well.
- Pour it into the pot and whisk over low flame.
- Add all drippings accumulated from cutting the roast beef into the pot, bring too a boil and stir until it thickens, simmering on low a few minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper.
Yield: varies, Serving Size: 4 oz meat
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 4
- Calories: calories
- Total Fat: g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohydrates: g
- Fiber: g
- Sugar: g
- Protein: g