I love using buttermilk in my mashed potatoes, it’s rich and creamy with a slight tang and it’s naturally low in fat. People always ask me what they should do with their leftover buttermilk when they make my scones, well this is the easiest way to use it up. Yukon gold potatoes have a beautiful golden color with a buttery texture, they are perfect for making skinny mashed potatoes!
If you are making this as a Thanksgiving side dish, simply double the recipe and add more or less buttermilk depending on the consistency you desire. If you prefer making mashed potatoes without the buttermilk, see my Skinny Garlic Mashed Potato recipe. Enjoy!!
- 2 lbs 6-7 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp low fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp light butter
- kosher salt to taste
- dash of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- Put potatoes and in a large pot with salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Add buttermilk, light butter and remaining ingredients. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.