This slimmed down version Shrimp Po Boy is a makeover of the popular Louisiana style sandwich which is usually fried and high in calories.
This lighter version is sauteed with lots of spices, and topped with a fresh herb buttermilk slaw served on a whole grain French baguette.
Sandwiches for dinner are a great way to make a quick weeknight meal. This dish takes about 20 minutes to make an it’s very substantial. A tip I like to use when making a sandwich on French bread is cut a larger slice of bread, then scoop out some of the inside of the bread to give you a bigger sandwich, with fewer calories.
Slimmed Down Shrimp Po’ Boy
Herb Buttermilk Slaw:
- 1 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp low fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp shallot, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh chives, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage, about 1/4 a small head
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage, about 1/4 a small head
- 1/2 cup pre-shredded carrots
For the Shrimp:
- 6 oz large peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 3/4 tsp 30% Less Sodium Old Bay
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 7.5 oz about 3/4 loaf French baguette, multi-grain or whole grain
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- hot sauce, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine Greek yogurt, buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallot, chives, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the red and green cabbage and carrots, mixing to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the shrimp, cumin, sugar, garlic and Old Bay.
- Gently toss, evenly coating the shrimp. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil then the shrimp and cook until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- While shrimp are resting, slice the baguette into 3 even pieces, then slice each of the 3 pieces in half horizontally.
- Remove the inner soft part of the bread, leaving the outer crust.
- Toast in toaster oven (or broil in the oven) until desired crispness.
- To assemble: Top each sandwich with 2 ounces of shrimp and 2/3 cup slaw.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.