These everything bagel flatbreads, which are great for breakfast or breakfast-for-dinner combine two of my favorite foods – lox and everything bagel seasoning!
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Flatbread
I used my easy breakfast pizza dough recipe and topped it with red onion and “everything bagel” seasoning, then baked it in the oven and finished it with a little cream cheese, lox, tomato, dill and capers. You can bake this in the oven or in the air fryer!
They are basically flattened out bagels, it’s the same dough as my bagel recipe just made into a flatbread.
Make the dough ahead and wrap it with plastic, and keep refrigerated for 2 to 3 days. Be sure to let it get back to room temperature before rolling out and baking or the crust will blow up like a balloon.
Everything Bagel seasoning is sold in many stores such as Trader Joe’s (affil link), but it’s also easy to make yourself. Double or triple it and keep it in a small container, you’ll use it on everything from bagels, to eggs!
How To Make Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon (dry) minced onion
- 1 teaspoon (dry) minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Flatbread
- 1 cup 5 oz all purpose or white whole wheat flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt, not regular, drained if there's any liquid*
- olive oil spray
- Everything Bagel Seasoning, store bought or homemade (see recipe above)
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces 1/2 cup 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced thin
- 4 ounces smoked salmon or nova lox
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- fresh dill, for garnish
- *For gluten free I suggest Cup 4 Cup flour.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Place a silicone liner on a large baking sheet or spray with oil if using parchment.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 20 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide into 4 equal balls about 3-3/8 oz each.
- Sprinkle a work surface and rolling pin with a little flour roll the dough out into thin ovals 7 to 8 inches in diameter and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spritz the dough with olive oil. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning in a 1-inch boarder around the edge.
- Combine half of the red onion with olive oil, scatter the onion in the center of each.
- Transfer to the oven and bake 10 to 14 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven and dallop cream cheese in the center of each, leaving the edge clear.
- Top with tomato, then salmon and top with capers and dill.
Air Fryer Directions
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- When the air fryer is ready, transfer the dough, to the basket and bake until firm and golden, 5 to 6 minutes turning once half way. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit Jess Larson.