These Spicy Pumpkin Seeds are a fun twist on roasted pumpkin seeds. They make a tasty, filling snack on their own and a great salad topper too.
Easy Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are such a filling, low-calorie snack. If you’re carving those jack-o-lanterns, rather then tossing them, roast them in the oven for an easy snack the family will love.
My favorite part about carving pumpkins is getting to eat the toasted seeds straight from the oven. You can simply toss them with salt, as I do in my classic roasted pumpkin seeds recipe, but sometimes you might want something a bit extra.
If you want something with more flavor, try seasoning them with this smokey, spicy, savory combination. It just that mimics the flavor of BBQ potato chip seasoning. If I don’t finish them all I keep a small baggie in my purse any time I just want a little snack.
What You’ll Need
You’ll need just a few ingredients for these spiced pepitas. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Pumpkin seeds – Raw and unshelled.
- Spices – Onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and ground mustard give these spiced pepitas just the right amount of heat.
- Light brown sugar – Just a pinch of sugar balances out the spices.
- Olive oil spray – Helps all the spray stick to the pumpkin seeds.
How to Make Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
These spicy pumpkin seeds come together in a few simple steps. See the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Prepare the seeds. Remove the seeds from the pumpkin. Rinse in a colander under cold water. Shake off excess water, spread the seeds on a baking sheet, and roast for 10 minutes. Toss halfway through.
- Prepare the seasoning. Combine the seasonings and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Roast the seeds. Lightly spray the seeds with oil, then toss with 3/4 of the spice mixture. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until crunchy. Toss halfway through.
- Add the remaining spices. Spray more olive oil spray over the seeds and toss with the remaining spice mixture.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bars
- Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Spicy BBQ Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and separate them from the stringy pulp and rinse the seeds in a colander under cold water.
- Shake off any excess water, spread the seeds on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes or until seeds are dry, tossing halfway through.
- In another small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and brown sugar.
- Place the seeds in a medium bowl and lightly spray with oil.
- Add 3/4 of the spice mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Evenly spread the seeds on a sheet pan covered with parchment and roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until brown and crunchy, tossing half way through.
- Immediately spray more olive oil over the seeds and toss with the remaining spice mixture.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.