Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars
These Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars cookie bars are the perfect Fall dessert – moist and chewy, made lighter with pumpkin puree and studded with butterscotch chips. The topping is a simple, light cream cheese frosting drizzled with chocolate – so good!
I played around with my Skinny Cranberry Bliss Bars and loved how they turned out. They have just the right amount of pumpkin spice for my taste, but if you really love those spices you could add a bit more. If you want to make these ahead, you can bake the cookie bar a day ahead and make the frosting, then assemble the day you’re ready to serve them.
Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookie Bars
These Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars cookie bars are the perfect Fall dessert – moist and chewy, made lighter with pumpkin puree and studded with butterscotch chips.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (Gold Medal)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ounces melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch non-stick baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice and cinnamon and stir to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk the sugars with the butter, egg whites, pumpkin and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two additions until the batter is very well blended. If the batter looks more “crumbly” than smooth, add just a drop of water at a time (ONLY if needed) until it smooths out.
- Fold in butterscotch chips.
- Spread batter onto the baking pan using the back of a measuring cup to smooth evenly.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, until the edges are light brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Don’t over-bake or your bars will be dry.
- Let it cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting; in a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until well-blended.
- Frost bars and drizzle with the melted chocolate. *To melt the chocolate, place in a microwave safe cup and heat 15 seconds; stir. Another 15 seconds; stir until the chocolate is melted.
- When the chocolate sets, cut into 15 large squares (5 cuts by 3 cuts with the knife).
- Then cut each square in half diagonally to create triangles.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yield: 30 bars, Serving Size: 1 bar
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 7
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 133 calories
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 71mg
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 15g
- Protein: 2g