Strawberries, rhubarb and honey are simmered over gentle heat to create this simple compote.
I love the combination of strawberry and rhubarb, it’s one of my favorite pie fillings but it’s also wonderful as a compote to eat for breakfast over Greek yogurt or crepes, or for dessert I love it warm with a little frozen yogurt. What do you like to do with fruit compote?
I had the hardest time finding rhubarb, if you can’t find any in your area you can use just the strawberries instead. You can use agave, sugar, stevia or Splenda in place of honey, this would be 0 points plus with stevia or Splenda.
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 1 lb strawberries, washed and dried
- 1 lb rhubarb, leaves removed and stalks washed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- Hull strawberries and cut into quarters.
- Cut rhubarb in 2 inch slices.
- Combine compote ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and gently simmer over medium-low heat until reduced and thickened and the fruit has softened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.