The perfect ending to a meal is a homemade warm fruit crisp topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Spring rhubarb and strawberries are the perfect combination of sweet and tart and work so well together for this comforting dessert.
I can’t pass up rhubarb whenever I see it in the farmer’s market and lately it’s been showing up more frequently in my local supermarket. If whipped cream is not your thing, I also LOVE eating this with a scoop of frozen yogurt, yum!!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- For the filling:
- 20 ounces strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 12 ounces rhubarb stalks, about 5 or 6 cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup honey
- For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup quick oats, I used gluten-free
- 1/3 cup 100% gluten-free or white whole wheat flour
- 2.25 ounces light brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine strawberries and rhubarb in an oven safe dish.
- Add honey.
- Then orange juice and orange zest; sprinkle with cornstarch and toss until fruit is well coated.
- Mix remaining ingredients for the topping in a medium bowl then spread over fruit.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Serve with a scoop of frozen yogurt or whipped cream if desired.