This Vegan Caesar Salad is delicious! The Caesar Salad dressing is made with raw cashews to make it creamy along with lemon juice, Dijon, garlic and capers.
Vegan Caesar Salad
For a fun twist on a Caesar salad, it’s made with grilled Romaine, like I did with this Grilled Romaine, Corn and Chicken Salad, the texture of grilled lettuce is wonderful, but you can also skip that step if you prefer.
I love Caesar salad, especially with lots of anchovies like I do in this Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing, so I was very curious to try a Vegan version. When I got my hands on the new Love and Lemons Everyday Cookbook, which is gorgeous and filled with over 100 plant forward recipes, I had to try it! I’ve hung out with Jeanine, the author of the cookbook and creator of the Love and Lemons website several times and even had lunch with her at a vegan restaurant, (it was the best Vegan Caprese Salad of my life!), so I was pretty confident this would be great. Her cookbook, which she photographed herself is stunning, filled with so many seasonal recipes I can’t wait to try!
Can Vegans Eat Caesar Salad?
Most Caesar salads have anchovies, Parmesan cheese and egg, which are not part of a vegan diet. This Caesar dressing is egg-free and dairy-free, so even if you’re not trying to eat vegan, it’s also great for other dietary restrictions.
Vegans Caesar Ingredients
- Raw Cashews, for creaminess
- Raw garlic, for zip
- Lemon Juice, for brightness
- Dijon Mustard, for salty, savory flavor
- Capers, for salty briny flavor
Jeanine used whole grain bread to make the croutons, but if you’re gluten-free swap it for gluten-free bread. Or leave it out if you want to keep it low-carb and Whole30 compliant.
Vegan Caesar Salad
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, or gluten-free bread, 2 oz total*
- ½ garlic clove
- Extra-virgin olive oil spray
- 3 heads romaine lettuce
- 2 radishes, sliced paper-thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- ¼ cup microgreens, optional
- Pinches of red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rub the bread slices with the cut side of the garlic clove and slice the bread into cubes.
- Spritz the bread cubes with olive oil and bake until crispy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make the dressing: In a high-speed blender, place the cashews, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, capers, water, and a few grinds of black pepper. Blend until creamy.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high.
- Slice the romaine heads in half lengthwise, then drizzle with a bit of olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper.
- Grill the romaine, cut-side down, until char marks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently flip the romaine and grill for 2 minutes more.
- Assemble the salads with the grilled romaine and a drizzle of the dressing.
- Top with the radishes, chives, capers, and croutons.
- Sprinkle with the hemp seeds, microgreens, and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Serve with the lemon wedges and the remaining dressing on the side.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
69 calories, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1.0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 70mg, Carbohydrates: 4.5g, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 0.5g, Protein: 2g For the dressing only: https://cmx.weightwatchers.com/details/MEMBERRECIPE:5cf8579598c7480238979d6f
Photo credit: Jess Larson