Watermelon Feta and Balsamic “Pizzas”
These savory watermelon “pizzas” are such a fun way to create one of my favorite summer salads, a combination of watermelon, feta, olives and balsamic. With only 5 ingredients, they aresimple to make and would go great as a side to anything you’re grilling. Yesterday I made salmon on the grill and served two wedges on the side, it was a perfect summer meal.
I seem to be on a Mediterranean kick this week without even realizing it. Maybe it’s the large hunk of Feta I have in my fridge, but you can really have fun with these. Next time I might add some arugula and slivered red onion on top, maybe even grilled shrimp to make this an appetizer.
This idea was inspired from a recipe I saw in the Superfood Snacks Cookbook. They made a Watermelon Pizza topped with more fruit, nut and goji berries which you can see pictured below.
To make this in a perfect pizza shape, I bought a round watermelon, cut it in half, then laid the flat part on the cutting board and sliced a 1-inch slice from each half.
Watermelon Feta and Balsamic "Pizzas"
Just 5 ingredients for this delicious savory summer side or appetizer! So light and refreshing, great with just about anything you grill!
- 1 watermelon slice, cut 1-inch thick from center of the widest part
- 1 oz crumbled Feta cheese
- 5 to 6 Kalamata Olives, sliced
- 1 tsp mint leaves
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Slice the widest part of a round watermelon in half. Lay the flat side down on a cutting board and cut a 1-inch thick slice from each half. Cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Place them on a round dish like a pizza and top with cheese, olives, balsamic glaze and mint leaves.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 slices
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 1
- Points +: 2
- Calories: 90 calories
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Sodium: 148mg
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 12g
- Protein: 2g