Grilled Scallop Kebabs
These grilled scallops are FANTASTIC and really simple to make. Once prepped, they take less than 6 minutes to cook. They can be served as an appetizer for four, or as a main dish for two.
I wanted to make them outside on my grill yesterday, but it was raining so I made them on my indoor grill pan instead. If you live in a small apartment, or don’t own a grill, a grill pan is a must. I own several grill pans, in different shapes and sizes; because these skewers are long I opted for my double burner Lodge Cast-Iron Reversible Grill which I’ve had for years and love. The other side is a griddle, great for making breakfast on the weekends.
What To Serve With Grilled Scallops
- Corn On The Cobb
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Tomato Salad
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Grilled Zucchini
- Orzo Salad
- Red Potato Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Pasta Salad
A few tips for success when grilling scallops. You’ll want to be sure your grates are cleaned and very well oiled to prevent the scallops from sticking. Scallops are very delicate, so if it sticks you’ll break them. Using a double prong metal skewer will prevent the scallops and orange from rotating on the stick. If you don’t have them, you can use wooden skewers (soaked in water 30 minutes) and just double them up.
Grilled Scallop and Orange Kebabs with Honey-Ginger Glaze
- 1 tbsp raw honey, I like to buy local
- 1 large navel orange, or 2 small
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- oil for the grill
- 12 jumbo sea scallops, about 1lb
- kosher salt and black pepper
- double prong metal skewers
- Cut the ends off the orange, and cut the remaining orange into 4 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Cut each slice into 4 pieces.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining orange to get 2 tablespoons.
- In a small bowl combine honey, 2 tbsp orange juice and ginger.
- Heat the grill or a grill pan to high. Clean grates oil well so the scallops don't stick to the grates.
- Thread the orange and scallops onto the skewers, starting and finishing with the orange. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill about 2 minutes on each side, until the scallops are opaque throughout, then brush and baste with the sauce and cook 30 to 60 more seconds on each side.