Chicken and vegetables seasoned with sage, rosemary and balsamic vinegar, then baked in the oven. A delicious healthy meal-in-one.
Adapted from my friend Julia of Julia's Healthy Italian. She's a mom of four small kids, with a full time career and an amazing cook. I shared this a few years ago, but since I've made some minor changes to the original recipe. This is an easy weeknight dish, with quick easy prep. If you want to add a grain to the side, quinoa would be great. For easy clean up you can line the tins with foil.
Balsamic Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Servings: 4 • Size: 2 thighs + vegetables • Points +: 10 • Smart Points: 8
Calories: 401 • Fat: 17 g • Saturated Fat: 3 g • Carb: 15 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 48 g
Sugar: 2 g • Sodium: 518 mg • Cholesterol: 214 mg
- 8 (4 oz each) boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- 10 medium asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 red onions, chopped in large chunks
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced in half long, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 5 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano or thyme
- 2 leaves fresh sage, chopped
Preheat oven to 425°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spray 2 large baking sheets with oil.
Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl using your hands to mix well then arrange everything onto the prepared baking sheets spread out in a single layer. The vegetables should not touch the chicken or it will steam instead of roast. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are roasted and tender.